BYRON WADE III was born in Camden, New Jersey on January 8,
1915 to George Clayton Wade and his wife, the former Adelaide
Brangoll. He was named after his grandfather, George
B. Wade, a legendary member of the Camden Fire Department
who served for 37 years, retiring as the City Fire Marshall in
1929 after having been a Battalion Chief. His father, George
Clay Wade, often referred to as George Wade Jr., also served
with the Camden Fire Department starting in the mid-1910s until
he retired in April of 1935.
his father registered for the draft in September of 1918, the
Wades were living at 1441 Broadway. By January of 1920 they had
moved to 924 South 5th Street where they stayed with Adelaide's
parents. The 1924 City Directory has them at 1436 Broadway, and
the 1929 edition shows them at 461 Mechanic Street, where they
stayed as late as 1931. During the early 1930s George
C. Wade and his family moved to 513 Chestnut Street. The
Wades were at 1244 Browning Street in the late 1930s.
1940 George B. Wade III had married. He and his
Margaret lived with his parents at the Browning Street address
when the 1940 City Directory was published. Not
long after George C. Wade
registered for the draft
in the spring of 1942, he and his wife moved to moved to 3007
North Congress Road in Fairview. George B. Wade III was
appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 23, 1942.
The 1947 Camden City Directory shows George B. Wade III and his
wife Margaret were still at 1244 Browning Street.
B. Wade III had worked as a clerk at one of the many A&P
grocery stores in Camden for seven years, spent four months in
then United States Navy in 1941, then worked for a year with his
father at the Camden Forge Company before being appointed to the
Fire Department. He reported for duty with Engine Company 1 on
October 1st, and stayed there until January 15, 1951 when he was
transferred to Engine Company 9, where he remained for exactly
six months. On June 16, 1951 George B. Wade III began a term of
service at Engine
Company 3 at 1815 Broadway.
On May 6, 1963 he was sent to Fire Communications. George B.
Wade III's last assignment began on November 8, 1965 when he was
assigned to the Fire Marshall's office. He retired on pension on
July 1, 1975 after 32 years and 2 months service, only to pass
away on July 3, 1975.
B, Wade III's father passed in 1959. Fire Department records indicate that
George B. Wade III moved from Browning Street to North Congress
was residing there at the time of his passing.