CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
The Carteret Club
Another social club that flourished in the 1890s and early 1900s was the Carteret Club.
Founded in the early 1890s and comprised of prominent young men , the Carteret Club first appears in City Directories in 1893. This Directory shows the club quartered at 211 North 5th Street. The 1894 edition lists the Carteret Club at 221 North 5th Street. City Directories from 1895 through 1899 show the Carteret Club at 421 Penn Street. By the time the 1900 City Directory was compiled, the Carteret Club had moved to 209 Cooper Street. This was the home of the club until it club disbanded in 1906, as its members apparently joined other organizations.
|Philadelphia Inquirer - January 6, 1895|
December 3, 1898
Prominent Elks of Camden Lodge No. 293
|F. Morse Archer|
|Martin V. Bergen|
|Raymond R. Donges|
|Dr. Frederick Smith||Richard F. Smith|
|Harrison H. Voorhees|
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE