CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
JOHN PENNINGTON TAVERN
John A. Pennington operated a tavern at 818 Broadway during the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s 1950s. The bar had been owned and operated by William Lickfeld until his death in 1919. His widow, Mrs. Emma Lickfeld, retained ownership of the property into the early 1930s. She leased the bar to Jesse Seybold from 1923 through 1928, and to James Richardson in 1929. The saloon was padlocked by federal authorities early in 1930, and Mrs. Lickfeld went to court to break the lease and regain control of the property in April of 1930.
When Prohibition was repealed John Pennington was granted a beer license on June 30, 1933 for 818 Broadway. In 1939 he was the chairman of the resolutions committee of the New Jersey Licensed Beverage Association.
By the late 1950s the bar was sold, and was known as Pink's Tavern from then until the late 1980s.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE