CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
also known as the Bismark Tavern
6-10 South 25th Street
The Bismark Tavern was open as far back as the late 1930s. The Bismark, was just off of Federal Street on 25th, a one story building, it's masonry exterior painted tan in the 1950s and 1960s.
The Bismark appears to have first operated as a bar after the repeal of Prohibition. In 1939 Amos E. Oatman and Joseph J. Meehan were the licensees. A 1943 advertisement in the St. Joseph Church Golden Jubilee Yearbook shows that Joseph Meehan was the proprietor.
The 1947 Camden City Directory states that Robert J. Taylor and Edward Coach were the owners. Jesse Keller Sr. acquired the bar in the 1950s, and his son, Jesse Keller Jr. later took over management. The Bismark closed its doors in the early 1980s. Jesse Keller moved to Forked River NJ, where he passed away in 1994, survived by his wife Evelyn.
The Bismark is no longer standing as of 2004.
Club - Bridge
Cafe - Kernan's
Cafe- Harry's Taproom - Clancy's
Cafe - Big
Larry's Cafe - Lynch's Cafe - Morgan's Cafe - Nittinger's Cafe
Big Horn Cafe - Jack's Grille - Cooperson's Auto Body - Scotty's Thist'es
Vari's Cafe - Davalo's Cafe - Bush's Cafe - La Victoria - Shantytown Cafe - Billy's Cafe
Phil Hart's Cafe - Pavonia House - White Owl Inn - George's Grill - Dick's Rendezvous
Dragon Inn - Royal Inn - Bismark Cafe
Ginger's Cafe - Daly's Cafe - Kenure's Cafe - Knauer's Cafe - Oaklyn Inn - Bellevue Inn
Fourteenth Ward Democrat Club - Blanche's Cafe - Duke Gartland's - Regan's Cafe
Bettlewood Cafe - Mulvihill's Cafe - Barrington Cafe - Chews Landing Hotel - Blackwood Cafe
Laurel Inn - Starr's Cafe - Gruber's Inn - Welcome Inn - Somerdale Bowling Alley
Inside the Bismark
Evelyn Probst Keller
Jesse Keller Sr. on drums
Unknown piano player
Photo courtesy of Tom Probst
Pocket Mirror & Note Pad
know about WHEN
1943 the address was
the late 1950s
the bar move
Thanks to Tom Probst and Charlie Moy for their help with this page.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE