Andrews was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to to serve
as an extra man with the Hook
and Ladder Company
in May of 1873, taking the place of Edward
T. James. He was removed from service on May 7, 1874 with
eight other extra men. Edward Andrews was replaced by Frank
Turner. Edward Andrews was a tobacconist and lived at 109 South
5th Street while he was a member of the Camden Fire
1880 Census reveals that Edward Andrews was then a widower. He
was still living at 109 South
5th Street and working as a cigar maker. His three youngest
children were still living with him. Edward
Andrews continued to work as a cigar maker into 1888. He was
still living at 109 South
5th Street when the 1890-1891 City Directory was compiled.
He then worked as a watchman. Edward S. Andrews died on January
15, 1890 and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden.
June 8, 1900 Census shows Ulie Andrews and family staying at 572
Street. Ulysses "Ulie" Andrews was the working as
a hatter, and was still following that trade in 1906. The family
was then still living at 549 Roberts
Street. By 1910 Ulysses Andrews had been appointed to the
Camden Police Department.
1910 Census shows the Andrews family at 648 Clinton
Street. The 1912 City Directory shows the family at 584 Clinton
Street. By 1914 they had moved to 405 South
7th Street, where they stayed through the 1960s. By
September of 1918 son Harry D. Andrews had gone to work at the
New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard, first as a tank
tester and later as a caulker. By 1924 Harry D. Andrews had
married. He was living with his wife Lorena at his parents home
7th Street and working as an auto mechanic when the 1924
City Directory was compiled.
1927 Harry D. Andrews was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department. The City Directory for that year shows him living at
Street. The 1929 edition shows Harry D. and Lorena Andrews
living at 401 South
7th Street, near Ulie and Lillian Andrews who still lived at
7th Street, By April of 1930 Harry D. and Lorena Andrews had
moved to 423 Broadway,
where they stayed into at least 1931. They moved to 145 North
34th Street in the 1930s, and then, by 1940, Harry D. and
Lorena Andrews had moved to 405 South
7th Street, where they stayed into the 1960s.
Andres passed away in March of 1955..