LESTER DYER was born in Milford, Delaware on November 30,
1889. He was one of five children born to John and Hester Dyer.
The family moved to Camden in the early 1900s. By 1906 they had
settled at 205 Byron
Street in the Poet's
Row section of North
Camden. The elder Dyer worked as a ship caulker in one of
Camden's shipyards, most likely the nearby Mathis
1910 Census shows John Lester Dyer living with his parents and
brother Benjamin at 205 Byron
Street. His father was still
working as a ship caulker, and John Lester Dyer was by then
working in a shipyard as a laborer. He married his wife Alma not
long after the Census was taken.
1914 Camden City Directory shows John Lester Dyer working as a
caulker and living at 1126 Lawrence
Street. On May 1, 1917 he
appointed to the Camden Fire Department.
Lester Dyer was working as a Camden City at Ladder Company 1 and was living with his wife and five
children at 1126 Lawrence
Street when he registered
for the draft on June 5, 1917. Seven more children were born after he
registered for the draft. The Dyers were still living at 1126 Lawrence
Street when the 1930 Census was taken. By 1931 he had moved to 139 North
Lester Dyer left the fire department due to illness in the 1930s. One of
his sons, George Dyer, passed away on October 1, 1936. Last a resident
of 139 North 11th Street, he passed away on March 22, 1938.
Lester Dyer's son, Technician 4th Class Lester J.
Dyer, was killed in action on
January 26, 1944, when the landing craft that he was on was sunk during
the Allied landings at Anzio. Also killed were North Camden residents James
Parks, and William
Sinclair and Salvatore
Sapio of Haddonfield, and Stanley
Pokorsky of Delaware Township (Cherry Hill).l