H. SHARP was appointed to the Camden Fire Department as an extra
man with the Hook
& Ladder Company in the spring of 1877. He replaced John
Bucklew. He served with the Hook
& Ladder Company for two years, then was transferred to
Engine Company 1.
Howard Sharp served for three years, but was not reappointed
when Daniel A. Carter was elected Chief of the Camden Fire
Department. Howard Sharp was reappointed in 1884, replacing
William Miller as an extra man with Engine
Company 1. Howard Sharp served until July of 1885, when the
extra men were discontinued from service.
H. Sharp was born in Camden, New Jersey in July of 1847 to Charles
Sharp and his wife, the former Susan Stokes. The family was living
in Camden's South Ward when the census was taken in 1860. Charles
Sharp worked as a tailor. Besides Howard, the family included
brothers Horace, John, Lewis, William, Ellis, Charles H., and
Sharp married Amanda Frances Powell in 1870. Howard Sharp worked
as a laborer during his years with the Fire Department, he later
worked as an engineer, a butcher, a salesman, an advertising
agent, and in his last years as a special officer.
H. Sharp is listed in the 1878-1879 Camden City Directory at 454 Kaighn's
Point (Kaighn) Avenue. By 1880 he had moved to 420 Sycamore
Street. The 1881-1882 City Directory shows him living at 1128 Broadway.
City Directories from 1882 through 1884 lists him at 338 Sycamore
Street. The 1885 Directory has him at 271 Liberty
Street. The Directories from 1887-1888 and 1888-1889 have him
at 332 Sycamore
Street. Howard H. Sharp was living at 280 Walnut
Street in 1890. City Directories from 1893 through 1896 give
Howard Sharp's address as 14 Bella
Place. In 1897 he moved to Stockton, which would become East
Camden in 1899. He made his home at 2620 Master
Street, which was renamed Cramer
Street after the unification of Stockton and Camden. Howard H.
Sharp was still living there when the Census was taken in
the census was taken in 1900 Howard H. Sharp's wife Amanda were
the parents of seven children, five of them, Arabella
'Bella", Ida May, Samuel, Susan, and Mary "Mamie"
Sharp still living.
H. Sharp had moved to 421 Liberty
Street by 1906. He died of pneumonia at his home on October