HENRY WOODFORD "HARRY" DAVIS was well known in Camden as a horse trainer and as a politician.
Harry Davis was born in New Jersey in May of 1856 to Henry W. and Margaret Davis. The family was living in Stow Creek Township, in Cumberland County NJ in 1860. Older brother Samuel had come to Camden by 1870, and had worked his way up in the world. By 1880 he was a railroad conductor. The 1880 Census shows Harry Davis living at 539 South 6th Street, the home of his brother Samuel, his wife Mary and their two children. The Davis brother's father was also then living at that address. Harry Davis was working as a railroad flagman. He married soon afterwards.
By 1887 Harry Davis was conducting a livery and boarding stable at 411-413 William Street. He then lived at 419 South 6th Street. Late in 1889 or early in 1890 he moved to 521 Clinton Street.
His son, Millard Davis, was born in Camden on June 10, 1890. There were already two older daughters Laura and Henrietta; a third, Ella, would be born a few years later. The family had moved to 445 Benson Street when the 1900 Census was enumerated. Sadly, by then he was a widower.
The 1906 Camden City Directory shows that Harry Davis lived at 450 Benson Street, and that he still operated a stable at 411-413 William Street. He was still living on Benson Street when the 1914 City Directory was compiled, but does not appear to still be operating the stable. He was still on Benson Street in 1917 when his son Millard registered for the draft. By 1924 he had moved to 534 Haddon Avenue, where he resided along with his son Millard, daughter Ella and her husband Mortimer Bonham. He remained at that address until about 1936, when he and the Bonhams moved to Mt. Holly NJ.
Millard Davis worked for many years in the tax Assessor's office in Camden.
(Mt. Holly) New Jersey Mirror * September 28, 1938
Henry W. Davis
Henry Woodford Davis, 83, known to a former generation as an outstanding horse fancier and trainer, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mortimer J. Bonham, 417 Garden street, Mount Holly, on Friday, from the infirmities of age. He had lived in Mount Holly about two years. For more than fifty years he conducted stables in Camden and raced horses in the eastern and mid-west circuits. He frequently appeared at races on the old Mount Holly Fair ground. Deceased served two terms as freeholder from the Fourth Ward, Camden, about forty years ago. He then was active in Republican politics and was a member of the Fourth Ward, Camden, Republican Club. He was born at Roadstown.
Mr. Davis is survived by three daughters: Mrs. Bonham, Mount Holly; Mrs. Laura Shaw, Haddonfield, and Mrs. Lloyd Geare, Philadelphia; and a son, Millard D. Davis, a clerk in Camden City's Assessors office. His wife died 35 years ago. He was a member of Mount Holly Lodge of Elks and of Williamson Lodge, F. and A. M., Philadelphia.
Funeral services were held yesterday, conducted by Rev. C. R. Nixon, of Haddonfield M. E. Church. Interment was in Harleigh cemetery, Camden. Members of Mount Holly Lodge of Elks acted as pallbearers. Elks acted as pallbearers.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE