EDWARD JUBB was born in 1865, according to family sources and his obituary in the Philadelphia Inquirer. He was one of at least 8 children. The Jubbs were living in Evesham Township at the time of the 1860 Census.
The 1870 Census, indicates Edward Jubb's birth as being closer to 1860. He was then living with his parents, Charles H. and Elizabeth Jubb, in Medford, New Jersey. There were seven children at home, ranging in age from 17 years to 2 months. The children were William, Joseph, Sarah, Edward, Henry, Philip. and the baby, John. Another child, Walter, was born in the mid-1870s. Eldest brother Charles H. Jubb Jr. was no longer at home. By 1878 Charles Jr. had moved to Camden, and was living at 918 Howard Street.
Charles Jubb Sr. moved to Philadelphia in the early 1870s, then relocated to Camden after the 1880 Census By 1883 he had established a florist's shop at 1246 South Front Street, not far from the Kaighn's Point Ferry.
The 1883-1884 City Directory shows Edward Jubb as a hay dealer living at 308 South 2nd Street with his brother, Charles Jr., a blacksmith. The 1884-1885 edition shows Edward Jubb in the rag business and living on Pine Street, east of South 2nd Street, probably at 256 Pine Street, where his brother Charles, also in the rag business, was listed in the 1885 Directory.
By the time the 1885 Directory was published, Edward Jubb had secured employment as a slip tender at the Market Street Ferry. He then was living at 433 Riley Avenue.
Edward Jubb appears in Camden City Directories for 1887-1888 as a slip tender at the Market Street Ferry. He was then living at 1117 Penn Street. By 1888 he had moved to 314 Friends Avenue and was working as a ferryman. He remained on Friends Avenue into 1890.
The 1891-1892 Directory shows Edward Jubb had left the ferry and was self-employed as a huckster. He and his family lived on Market Street, near North 3rd Street. By the end of 1892 he had returned to South Camden, residing at 1035 Locust Street. The 1893-1894 Directory shows him at 110 England Place and working as a carpenter.
At some point, probably in the late 1880s or early 1890s, Edward Jubb was appointed to the Camden Fire Department as an extra man. By May of 1894 he was no longer with the department, but apparently remained quite attached to the service.
Edward Jubb and his family had moved to 1038 Linden Street by the spring of 1894. He was plying his trade as a huckster at South 2nd and Division Streets when he saw the horse-drawn apparatus of Truck Company 2 on its way to a fire at the Kaighn's Point Ferry. Edward Jubb attempted to jump aboard the moving apparatus in order to lend assistance to his former brother fire fighters. Tragically, he missed his hold and and fell beneath the wheels of the moving wagon and was killed.
While technically the death of Edward Jubb was not a line-of-duty death, as he was not employed by the Camden Fire Department at the time of his demise, this website chooses to honor him, as he was a former member who gave his life responding to a call in an effort to assist his comrades and his community.
Edward Jubb left a wife and four children, who moved to Stockton (present-day Cramer Hill) shortly after his death.
Philadelphia Inquirer - May 10, 1894
Camden Fire Fighters Fallen in the Line of Duty
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE